Article

Marché de La Condamine

Marché de La Condamine

Marché de La Condamine

 

Marché de La Condamine (15 Place d’Armes, Monaco) – this old school market was first opened in 1880, when Count F. Gastaldi was mayor. It was renovated for the first time in 1992 to reflect evolutions in foods and consumer expectations. A complete overhaul gave La Condamine market hall a more regional focus, both in the produce on sale and in the decoration. The Nouveau Marché de la Condamine, inaugurated in 2012 by Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene, retained that warm and friendly Provençal spirit.

La Condamine Market is open every day, all year round, accommodating twenty or so traders within its confines. There are also numerous market gardeners, florists and small local producers on Place du Marché. It is a Southern market. The spirit is sunny, underscored by the soft, warm shades of the market hall and terracotta paving scattered with small ceramic tiles graced with Provençal motifs.