Prince’s Palace of Monaco
Prince’s Palace of Monaco (Place du Palais, Monaco) – the Prince’s Palace has a long history and has been extended and renovated several times over the centuries. Its origins date back to the early thirteenth century – 1215 to be exact. Following a succession of renovations, the ancient Genoese fortress became one of the most luxurious residences of the 17th century, in a style extremely characteristic of the Louis XIV era.
Prince Honoré II assembled substantial collections of artworks here, which unfortunately disappeared during the French Revolution, when the Palace was looted and used as a hospital for occupying troops.
Today, it is possible to admire the splendors of the Palace, including: the Palace Chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, the Hercule Gallery, the Mirror Gallery, the Red Room, the York Room, the Yellow Room or Louis XV Bedroom, and the Throne Room, as well as numerous frescoes, tapestries, and items of furniture.
Admission: €8 (adult), €4 (students, and children ages 6-16). Hours vary – see the Palace website for an updated schedule: www.palais.mc
Changing of the Guard: Every day at 11.55 am, a changing of the guard ceremony takes place on the Palace Square, a solemn military ritual performed with perfect coordination. Since their creation on 8 December 1817, the Palace Guards have ensured the security of the Palace, His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince and the Princely Family, as well as His properties and residences and their immediate surroundings. The Guards’ other duties include providing the Prince with a guard of honor, enforcing laws and maintaining public order. The Guard is currently composed of 124 soldiers: three officers, twenty-five non-commissioned officers and ninety-six ordinary soldiers.